Gout is a type of inflammatory Arthritis usually characterized by recurrent attacks – red, tender, hot and swollen joint. The joint at the base of the big toe is the most commonly affected. It is caused by elevated uric Acid levels in the blood. At Prashamana with the various Ayurvedic treatments we assure you with best results and relief in your Gout Pain and condition.
Book Your Appointment
Ayurveda approach of Gout
Similar condition in Ayurveda is called ‘Vata-Rakta’. Acute condition of Gout is perfectly matched with ‘Vata-Rakta’. Acharya Charaka mentioned ‘Agni-Maruta tulya’ term for Vata-Rakta. It is like the combination of wind and fire. It is caused by the aggravation of Vata and Rakta.
- Excessive intake of Salty, Sour, pungent, alkaline, unctuous, hot food.
- Intake of meat
- Excessive intake of radish, Black gram, leafy vegetables, sugar cane, curd, Alcohol.
- Virudhdha Ahara
- Intake of food before the previous meal is digested.
- Excess anger
- Day time sleep and night time awakening
- Previous injury
- Excessive Swimming and jumping
- Not doing Seasonal Panchkarma
- Suppression of manifested natural urges like urine, stool etc.
- Indulging in sweet food and sedentary life-style
Symptoms of Gout:
- Started from fingers of hand and feet; and then gradually progress in all joints of the body.
- Itching, burning sensation, ache, extension, pricking pain, throbbing sensation and contraction in the affected joint.
- Fever is mostly present.
- The skin becomes brownish black, red or coppery in color.
- The deep seated type of Vata-Rakta gives rise to edema, stiffness, hardness, intense pain in the interior of the edema and suppuration of the joints.
- Vata and Rakta pacifying drugs
- Basti (Medicated Enema)
- Parisheka (Dhara)
Ayurveda believes Vata and Rakta (Blood) vitiation in Gout. So drugs acting on both are selected and used in proper dose. By medicines we can maintain early cases of Gout but as disease gets chronic, Panchkarma treatment is needed.
Basti has been proved best treatment in Gout. Basti eradicates gout from root cause. Medicated Milk, Medicated Ghee, Decoction etc. are mixed up in specific quantity and inserted via anal route. Treatment course may be 7, 15 or 30 days as per severity of the disease.
It is a Bio-purification process comes under Panchkarma treatment of Ayurveda. It is a unique therapy which restores all body functions normal. It is useful in removing excess Pitta, thereby it normalize the vitiated Rakta (Blood) in the body which is the main causative factor of Gout.
It removes vitiated blood from the body directly resulting in fast relief in all symptoms like pain, tenderness, swelling and warmness.
Medicated milk mixed with medicated Ghee is gently poured on the affected joint. It helps in subsiding pain and tenderness.